$20 Gold Double Eagle Liberty Head - Very Fine VF (Random Year)
The opulent source of gold discovered during the California Gold Rush in 1849, lead United States to become one of the wealthiest countries. When the gold from the California mines started flooding the United States Mint, the Government decided to issue coins of bigger denomination to make huge transactions easier. Until that time $10 Gold Eagle coin ruled the roost for being the highest denomination, now there was a new contender, the $20 which took over the position as the highest denomination. Since it had double the face value of $10 Eagle gold coin, $20 coin was named as Double Eagle.
After passing the Gold Dollar Bill in 1849, US Government authorized US Mint to issue $20 Double Eagle coins. In 1849 only two pattern coins of $20 Gold Double Eagle Liberty Head were struck, of which the coin resting in the National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. is the lone survivor. No one knows the whereabouts of its other counterpart.
The US Mint began proper production of this coin for commerce in 1850. Chief Engraver James B. Longacre designed the designs of this coin. This coin became an instant success with the public and banks and merchants started using it in trade. The double eagle was struck from 1850 till 1907, when it was replaced by a newer design known as the $20 Gold Double Eagle Saint Gaudens.
During the Great Depression, President Franklin Roosevelt in 1933 asked people to turn in their gold coins and gold bullions to the US Treasury. Hence a majority of Pre-1933 US Gold Coins were melted down to make gold bars. What are remaining at present are a very scarce number of Double Eagles which somehow escaped the 1933 trauma. Hence there is a lot of demand for these rare $20 Double Eagle Liberty Heads.
- Contains .9675 Troy Ounce of .900 pure gold.
- Very Fine (VF) Condition.
- Obverse – A design by James B Longacre, depicts leftward facing Lady Liberty wearing a pearl-studded Coronet with “LIBERTY” inscribed on it. Encircled by 13 stars to represent 13 original colonies of US. At the bottom is year of mintage.
- Reverse: Features a heraldic eagle with a shield on its breast and holding olive branches and arrows in its talons, design inspired from the Great Seal of United States. Words “IN GOD WE TRUST” surrounded by 13 stars above the eagle. Inscriptions – “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” and “TWENTY DOLLARS.”
- Individual coins will be shipped in protective plastic flips. Higher numbers will be packed safe for shipping.
- Dates will be chosen randomly and are determined by our available inventory on hand.
- U.S. Mint issue from the following mints: Philadelphia, Denver, Carson City, San Francisco, or New Orleans.
- 100% authentic.
Why Should You Invest In It?
- High collectible value because of its design, magnitude, and age.
- Its rarity makes it very sought after, thereby fetching a high premium over spot.
- Gold has always maintained its base value over the long term.
- Where stocks and bonds can decline in response to an event, gold prices will only get higher.
- These coins are considered heirlooms and collector’s items, hence there is a protection from seizure by the United States Treasury by Law.
- Allows you to diversify your investment portfolio.
A dearth in availability and its condition, makes $20 Gold Double Eagle Liberty Head coin a desired commodity by both collectors as well as investors. Buy this coin at Bullionexchange while it is still available.
For any assistance or queries contact Bullion Exchanges at 800.852.6884 or email to email@example.com. Our customer service representatives will be happy to help you.